AIM - Lair Witch AIM - Lair Witch

Around 7 seconds in, that synth is WAY too loud, I love the effect on the drums, but I've got mixed feelings about this piece. It's an interesting experiment, good mixing, but I'm not really sure about the structure, the melody. It also seems to be missing something. Different, interesting, but lacking something. And really repetitive. Keep working, you've got talent.

primallightmusic responds:

Thanks for the review! The feedback is very helpful. :)

[AIM] Graves [AIM] Graves

Wow, this speaks to me. Although you forgot to link the artwork in the thread. It is a pretty piece but it has no real dynamics much, it mostly stays the same throughout the song with minor changes, it's 5 1/2 minutes of repetition. It needs more movement, more variation, but this would be good background music to a game menu screen or a level in a game.

The emotion is there, the atmosphere is there, but it needs change-ups, way too repetitive. Still a pretty piece though. Nice work.

Penderecki's Dream Penderecki's Dream

Quite horrifying indeed.....This tells a story. Although it's not melodic in the sense it flows in the usual pretty way most music does, this is the way of horror, and it flows well. This is probably one of the most horrifying things I've heard, reminds me a little of the early Friday the 13th movies, with the music I mean. It's very expressive of the artwork.

Though I do have mixed feelings, but the dynamics and mixing here are amazing. I don't know if I could listen again due to the fact my anxiety is now at an all time high....haha, is some pretty scary stuff (just like your "skull" piece that one year), but good piece still. Thing about this is, it's not all over the place, it actually has progression and build-up, and changes in the movement.

You should score a horror movie. God damn...lol

Phonometrologist responds:

Good for you for sitting through this; it was fun reading your review. It's reassuring that the "flow" or contour can be followed as I think all music should have that regardless if it's tonal or not. Thank you for the sentiment.

AIM - Love In Essence AIM - Love In Essence

Very interesting, very different. I love the atmosphere of this piece. The guitars are downright beautiful and chilling. I love the way the vocals sound, love the effect. I usually don't like autotune but the way it's used here is classy. This has sort of a Digital Sea (by Thrice) vibe, yet different. I love it. Can't say it really fits the picture's vibe, but this is a beautiful piece none the less.

Beautiful work.

Rahmemhotep responds:

I thought that the digital and 'cool' (as in I get blue, green and purple kind of feel) feel of the song went well with the pixelated art and blue and black background with purple focus subjects, but to each his own. I mean opinions are what make art ART, right?

To clarify, I tried to use sounds that made me think of cool colours.

AIM - Reunion AIM - Reunion

This kind of reminds me of Phantasy Star Online music a little, which I love. But there's parts that feel there's one element missing. The bass needs to be more present in the mix than it currently is, it's not strong enough to show in the mix as it could. Interesting interpretation of the picture. Very original melodic piece, I like it. I feel the hihat could have a little more reverb on it. I fele the mix needs to be filled up a little more by something missing, another layer of something.

Other than all that, great job.

McGorilla42 responds:

Thanks, I appreciate the review hugely. I agree with what you had to say. I really struggled with the arrangement and mix of this in general and also feel like there's a little bit missing. Funnily enough, I previously had the bass much too loud, so I possibly over-compensated and turned it too low in my final mix. Perhaps in a few months I'll listen to it again and it'll seem obvious. Thanks for listening, Mr RealFaction and for facilitating this great competition!

AIM -Lazy Panda AIM -Lazy Panda

Very relaxing. I woke up listening to this, good for meditation. This tells a story, it's pacing shows curiosity and wonder, for relaxation. This could probably be remixed into a cool Chillstep song. I love the dubtle progression and the sound effects bring it to life. Simplistic, yet very nice.

Madze responds:

Thank you, I might try to remix it in the near future :D

AIM - BattleStorm AIM - BattleStorm

The opening has a real sense of atmosphere! I love how you make symphonic metal. Maybe turn up the bass a little bit to seem more present. The instruments in the background are a bit high in the high mids at points that hurt the ears, but other than that, this is beautifully mixed! Fits the picture. Very melodic, just could hit a little heavier with the bass, you can make changes if you wish to. There's times the guitars seem quiet and overpowered by the drums, I'd turn those up a little (though the lead is perfect volume).

Other than that, great job! :) Great variation, you're skilled at writing music and playing it.

NahuPyrope responds:

Thanks so much for the review dude!, what you said means a lot!, I'm gonna have to check my mixing a little bit more haha!

endK - Hybrid! endK - Hybrid!

Awesome! But the snare is a bit quiet, maybe turn up the volume on that. But this is a fun track. I feel it's missing maybe one element, but other than that, great riffs, fun to dance to, and this would go in the Dance or Techno genre. Maybe New Wave, not sure. Reminds me a bit of Phyrnna's work, which is a compliment. Beautiful work.

endKashika responds:

Thanks a lot :)!
You're right, changing the genre.

AIM - Reach The Stars AIM - Reach The Stars

I don't really like the piano in this. The notes aren't humanized, they sound the same volume and robotic, and it's too dry, needs some reverb. Though I like piano songs, this one sounds a bit empty. I like the melody, but mixing and effects and humanizing notes make such a difference. Keep working, melody isn't bad though.

teodorattt responds:

Thanks for advice. I will try to make the songs more "human".

AIM - Enchanted Forest AIM - Enchanted Forest

This is like an opening to a great movie or something. This is beautiful <3 euphoric. Very emotional, very pretty. Great job on on the mixing. Sounds great! I don't know what else to say really, beautiful job, really brings out the artwork. God I love this. Only complaint is you don't fade the song out, it just cuts off, there's no fading at the end so it's abrupt instead of a smooth fade. Other than that this is one perfect beautiful piece. Amazing job.

AceMantra responds:

Hey, thanks for the review! It really means a lot. I tend to be overly critical when it comes to my own work, so the positive reviews help me take a step back and actually enjoy what I've made.
Now that you mention it, the ending does cut out abruptly. It is such a small change though; I'm not sure if I'll fix it yet. I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time though.

Thanks again. :)