All 173 art Reviews

Pixelday Submission Pixelday Submission

This reminds me of some old MS-DOS games or Windows 95 stuff. I'm trying to think of what this reminds me of, but it's beautiful! This is quite the landscape piece. I love pirates, and I like the feel of this. Good job with the shading, the lighting, and sense of vast wilderness overall. Awesome job.

BenjaminLefferts responds:

Thanks man!
Yeah, It was heavily inspired by the old DOS game pixel art. And yes, pirates are my thing! Love pirates.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm Glad you like it.

Pocket Mortymon pixel version Pocket Mortymon pixel version

Haha nice! Though I have to ask, whats up with the static? Was that to make it look more authentic on a tv? Not bad.

Cazka responds:

I just realized what you meant, it's just so it doesn't look too plain.

Box It Up Box It Up

Definitely indeed. Good point.

Pixel le chat Pixel le chat

Well awww.....thats a cute name, sorry for her loss :(. Beautiful detailed tribute in memory of the lil guy. Good job.

Time Slipping Time Slipping

Well, this isn't really pixel art. It's more painting like. Carrion is indeed an inspiration, he's awesome at this stuff. Good job on details though, the ice I think is the most impressive feature with the details. The thing is, it's too detailed to really be considered pixel art. Not a bad thing, but it has it's issues. You're getting better though. I feel like the shading in some places could be worked on, and really you want to give it a vibe of sharpness.

There's a way to make the moon's glow without smudging it, check out some old games. I want to say there was one in the very first Harvest Moon at the ending, but I could be wrong. Some old games have a moon. Anyway, good job, keep practicing, and check out some tutorials, that definitely helped me. :)

LDAF responds:

Yep, I agree with just about everything you said. Next time I get a chance to do pixel art, some of the first things I'm going to do are work with a lower resolution and probably limit my color palette. Like you said, a vibe of sharpness is king in pixel art. Thanks for the tips, and thanks for taking the time to review!

Pixel Day Pixel Day

Haha! I don't know why, but this gave me a funny thought of what's going on here:
A washed up old retired tank man who is like, 66 years old, goes to a bar and tells his depressing stories of war and dick jokes to the bartender. LOL I love it! This really speaks Newgrounds, and on top of that, impressive shading and lighting. Good job.

ArcadeHero responds:

Hah! You've got it :P
Thanks a lot man! Glad you like it c:

There Be Dragons Here There Be Dragons Here

Hmm...one issue i have is that most of the picture is well, a photo, and not pixel art. However, it is cool to put pixel art over a photo in a way. Not bad. I feel there could be a bit more detail, but it's nice.

Rai Cover Rai Cover

You know, a pixel comic book would be pretty awesome to see. Nice details, it has both the feel of a game, and a comic book cover. This is something like Marvel would do (hero looking wise). Good job!

Miroko responds:

This is an actual comic book from Valiant Comics wish I made it.
Thank you!

The Jester The Jester

Whats interesting about this piece, is that the quality looks slightly reduced, so it looks like some sort of game over screen on an old tv, minus the scan lines. That's really impressive. The demonstration of lighting and shading and colors are all very impressive. This image alone is quite inspirational for an experimental game, if anyone were to make it. It says a lot. Great job on the shading and everything. It's dark, but I feel like this speaks to me with such meaning.

TheDyingSun responds:

Huh, now that you mention it does look like a game over screen. I'll take into consideration using it for a game or something. Thanks!

I'm tired I'm tired

Another piece for pixel day??? Wow, nice! I can't tell which is more impressive, this one, or your other one. Because, this has some insane artistic beauty in it. It's both beautiful, artistic, and photo-realistic in a sense like some old games were with pixel graphics. You've got some serious talent. I don't even know what else to say about it, but this is really something special. :) amazing job.