Staring Back Staring Back

Honestly, I feel there's a lot lacking in the layers. The beginning strings don't add much to the intro like they could, I feel it could have a stronger presence instead of sounding thin. Also the transition at 30 seconds in feels too sudden, not a smooth transition, almost feels like another song. The mixing is good, but there's a lot of empty space in the mix, there could be more instruments in the song.

I feel the instruments you chose, some of them, feel...too synthetic and not of high quality. Or maybe it's just the lack of other instruments supporting them. I like the percussion but could show more of a presence in the mix, like be louder instead of being buried in the mix by the instruments. I liked the part with the piano though, I felt like that added something good,though try humanizing the notes by changing the velocity on each note, some quieter, some louder, as if someone was playing them by hand.

The song is a bit repetitive but it has some variation to it. It needs a lot of work but it's not terrible. The mixing is probably the strongest quality to this song, besides the drums being buried in the mix, though they're mixed well. Keep it up, you'll get better with more experience, and I hope this feedback helps. :)

AssassinOnTheHill responds:

This kind of feedback was what I looked forward to most when entering this contest. I've been using Logic Pro X for about 3 months and I've been trying to learn how to use it but still haven't taken time to watch a tutorial on it, which I seriously need to do. I think a lot of the sound quality problems come from my lack of understanding of how to use Logic Pro X. So yeah, I agree with you completely about my sounds, and I had never even heard of changing the velocity of each note on an instrument, so I'll definitely have to try that out because I use the piano a lot. :P I think my percussion problem is an easy fix. My problem with it is that usually my drums are repetitive and lack variation so they don't support the song too well. I make them kind of quiet so they're not a main part of the song, but they definitely should be. I will fix that hopefully. Aside from my rambling, thank you so much for your review! I'm sure it will help! :D

AIM - Morgiana Dance AIM - Morgiana Dance

I'm a huge fan of Magi, and I see the soundtrack from that series, as well as the character herself, has inspired you for this interesting piece. The mixing is great, so is the composition. I'm not really sure what else to make of it, but it's entrancing. Though some of the elements sound a little too synthetic if that makes sense? Reminds me of Agrabah music from Kingdom Hearts.

Other than that, it's a fun beautiful piece. Very fitting for the character.

Enslaved To The Pain (OLD) Enslaved To The Pain (OLD)

This is probably one of your most interesting pieces, very sorrowful, atmospheric, and hard-hitting. Haven't heard anything quiet like it. :) Reflects the picture well. Not sure what else to say about it, but conveys emotion very well. Good job.

Lich responds:

Ayyy thanks. I struggle the most with understanding and crafting emotion in music so it's good to hear that it sounds ok!

AIM - WANT AIM - WANT

This reminds me of the ambient music in Skyrim, that beautiful feeling you get when venturing out to distant unfamiliar vibrant lands, that feeling of exploration of the unknown, and has a "dark" feeling ...this somehow gives vibes of light and darkness, such as the picture that inspired it. Very fitting to the picture! It sounds like the essence of inner echoes of a cave system, in a sense too.

Very nice touch with the percussion and bass. I could see this in a game. The snare sounds like rocks falling or footsteps....very creative! I wish the drums came in a little sooner and lasted a little longer, but this is very nice. Great job!

AetherNG responds:

Thank you for the kind words sir, It's always a joy hearing how others interpret my work. I was tempted to have the drums introduced earlier and last a little longer with more variation over time but i didn't want to exceed 6 minutes and that would have been too easy to do with a track like this.

AIM - Nostalgic Recollection AIM - Nostalgic Recollection

It's rare for the first 20 seconds of a song catch me as strong as this one did, already tearing up from how alive this song is, it breathes such life into the picture so perfectly...this is so beautiful! I feel the piano could have been turned down some during the loud parts. Maybe duck down in the mids just a little bit in the mixing. Nice touch of sounds. This not only fits the picture perfectly, but evokes emotions so strongly.

Beautiful work! The key change was a nice touch. Balancing the other elements with the piano more in volume, and this is a perfect song. Nice job!

BlueOceans responds:

It's nice to hear that my work can evoke such emotions for other people! :D

I totally agree with your criticism. I was aware of it, but my DAW's crackling and sluggishness became intolerable, and I had to automate the strings under these conditions, so once the strings were done, I decided to just export it. I know that such excuses are ineffective in competitions; I'm just saying this to sate anyone's curiosity.

edit: I made some adjustments to the piano notes and updated the audio file.

Thank you for the nice review! It means a lot to me.

An Fáinne Nua (The New Ring) An Fáinne Nua (The New Ring)

I feel the harp at the beginning needs to be a bit sharper, needs better mixing. It rings too much in the mids. It is also a bit quiet, could be a little louder. This a pretty piece though that you have composed. I feel it could be supported by violins in the background, have some sort of buildup and still stay calm, but have relaxing string in the background.

This is very melodic though, I like that, original piece still in terms of melody. Good work, but needs to show more of this song's potential through the mixing and adding more.

frootza responds:

Cool RF, appreciate your opinion :)

This guy is done. Could use better mixing for sure, but I needed to work with what I have.

The large majority of this is written at pianississimo maxing nearly at "half loud"

Minimalism ;)

Cheers!

AIM - Crash and Fade AIM - Crash and Fade

Though this does feel like something "spacey", I feel it doesn't reflect the picture accurately enough, but has somewhat of the vibe. I think this reflects the Metroid games more than anything, like the Prime series had some awesome music like this. :)

Very atmospheric, very creative use of elements and melodies, it's pretty and chill, relaxing, and haunting. I wonder, is this Downtempo? Downside is it is repetitive mostly even though it keeps a nice vibe with subtle changes, which is good, though I feel part of it could've had a change-up in melody more drastically, but I like what was added on.

I feel the snare is a bit weak on the attack side, could be a bit louder and sharper to make that impact, hitting a compressor hard enough. Though repetitive, the it does add enough subtle changes to make it interesting. I would love to see this in a video game. Great work overall, mostly good with the mixing, besides what I mentioned. Can't wait to hear more work from you in the future outside of the contest.

Kalviter responds:

Thanks so much for your feedback! I honestly wouldn't say I'm skilled enough to tell whether or not this is Downtempo, but I did take a very ambient approach to this piece. Probably focused too much on the visuals and not enough on the narrative, which would explain the slight repetitive nature. It also means a lot for you to have enjoyed this as much as you have, as I've been a fan of your work for much, much longer than I've been on Newgrounds, so I hope I continue to impress!

The Dark Desolater The Dark Desolater

This gives me sorta a Halo music vibe at first. Mysterious, whimsical. Then, it grows in energy. I like how the instruments are panned. A bit of an odd transition to the electronic elements, but interesting. I feel like it needs a hihat for that part though, feels like it needs to be carried more in that respect.

This has an insane amount of quality and variation though, though 2:44, the horn kind of clashes in quality imo, or the attack could have been quicker, maybe with a little more reverb to blend more in the mix. Maybe layered with another horn to give it more power.

Besides all that though, this is still a pretty amazing track, good job. Very innovative, creative, original. Nice work.

Spadezer responds:

I feel honored. Thank you

AIM - Meditation AIM - Meditation

You accidently put this in the wrong genre lol. Put it under experimental or something that isn't trance. This sounds a little like hiphop. This is nice and relaxing but the guitar is a bit too quiet at first, and the the percussion is a bit dry, could use a bit of reverb. It's nice though around 30 seconds in when the other guitar comes in. I like the melodic vibe, but could have used some bass.

I feel this has more potential than it's putting out but I love the elements in here so far, it's relaxing, just feel theguitars could be a little louder at first. The hihat needs to be turned up a bit as well as the toms. I do like the relaxing ambient waves it's putting out though. Fits the pic. A few tweaks and this would be perfect. I like the stuff that adds throughout the song. Pretty song. I love the psychadelic dreamy vibes.

Needs a bit of tweaking but good work here. Great on the mixing for the most part though besides what I mentioned. With more added i feel like someone could rap over this and it could become a hit.

Ceevro responds:

Trance is the closest they have to chillstep, I'm afraid. The NG music genre selection could use a bit of an upgrade...

I thought of writing a rap for this...and I may do so in the future. If I've already submitted this, am I able to tweak it before the deadline?

AIM ['17] Gun Strike AIM ['17] Gun Strike

Not bad, but I something feels missing. I feel like it could use hi-hat at the beginning. Also I feel it's missing a couple layers, a lot of this feels empty throughout the song. I feel background strings to carry the piece more would help, but I feel this isn't bringing out it's potential as much as it could. It's lacking that energy it's trying to put out due to the missing elements. It fits the picture though, but neds some work. Not bad, not great, but it also gets a bit repetitive. It's lacking that "punch" that energy it wants to be.

Good effort though.